Wednesday, May 23, 2012

the House


I entered the front door without you, but you found me on the way.
If I look you in the eye,
you will see I’m nervous
and I am not sure
                                                what to do.

I desire
to lay down in the beige velvet flowerbed
(before the house was empty it resembled a couch)
and soak in the peeling wallpaper and large wooden doorways with
doors painted white on only one side.
The naked wood glares like an exposed secret.
I am scared you trust me too much.

Behind me
the lovers,
                her hand in his
                she leans in
and he leans back
in the dining room like a wide portrait in the
wall of the living room
with its sitting chairs of dark curving wood
and my bed of monochromatic flowers
wobbling in the breeze.
The velvet smells of ginger and chocolate.

You seem somehow different from the day before,
your silhouette against the window.

The brass chandelier
                three crystals short and one electric bulb teetering dangerously off to the side
relaxing its arms and dripping lazily to the floor,
growing roots into the hardwood and stretching out through the room,
produces oblong clusters of crystal fruits.

There is a time when things are supposed to be right.
When the clock hand clanks and the footstep falls and the
air
squeezed into the room like water
suddenly comes bursting out the windows and the
wall seams and the
one-sided doors.
But I am afraid to meet your eye
and prefer to huddle in this growing forest of obscurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment